Monday, February 24, 2014

I don't like living in an Arab country, where people are rude and inconsiderate. While Israel is made up of migrants from all around the globe, the most prominent culture and the one that feels most at home here is an Arab culture. Aside from it being the majority of migrants here, it is also the loudest culture (you don't hear polite Europeans walking down the street, but you do hear Arab-country-originating people yelling, and that makes it more prominent and noticeable).
I visited the United States for 2 1/2 weeks last month. That was enough time to miss Gilad, but not enough to miss Israel. I was so excited to finally arive (as the El Al plane landed and the song כמה טוב שבאת הביתה by Arik Einstein played, I stared out the window and couldn't help crying, as a new migrant might have done, arriving in the "Holy Land"), and to walk out to the waiting area where my beloved Gilad was waiting for me. But as soon as we got on a bus home I realized- I do not like and did not miss Israeli transportation.
The things I don't like didn't finish there.
One of the locations that frsutrates me most in Jerusalem is the lightrail stations. People yelling and being rude and littering the ground with cigarette butts. I realized that when I stand in a certain spot, I always need to move because people who pass by just walk right into you (and don't say sorry or excuse me). I did a little experiment two weeks ago. I stood in one spot and did not move, to see if the group of Arab teenagers coming close would walk around me like polite people, or knock into me. You can guess what happened. One of them knocked me with his shoulder and just kept wakling.
That Was It.
I hated it. Hated living in an Arab country.
I'm not talking about Muslims- but Arabs of all sorts- Yes, even Arab Jews. It's a culture different from the Western one I am familiar with and tend to appreciate. I'd like to be around polite decent people (like those in most of the places I've been in the US)- people who will say Excuse me to pass by you, and who will notice you and walk around, and say Sorry if by accident they bump into you.
I don't find it "homey" or "warm hearted" when people are rude. I don't buy that.
The night we got back from the airport I was hungry and we stopped in the central bus station to buy food. Gilad got a slice of pizza with garlic bread. The bread was dry and Gilad brought it back and I saw from where I sat that the guy took it with a smile and tasted it himself and nodded. When Gilad got back to the table with a free slice of pizza instead of the dry bread, I said that was funny, and that would never happen in America. I liked the fact that the guy just took a bite from bread that a customer had eaten from.
But still.
There are so many things I dislike here.
Life inside the city is frustrating.
What else is frustrating, other than the rudeness? Wow, so much.
The hypocrisy of many extreme political leftists.
The way people want to just give everything away, for a "Peace" that will never come because the other side is not interested in it.
The way people think the Peace Process is failing because of the Israelis.
I really want to live somewhere else.
But I also think, what is the point of life if there's no threat or crisis?
What's the meaning of living in a quiet place like south Florida?
What art can I create there?
But then again, what art do I create here?
Not really anything amazing yet.
I should probably get out of this distraught and tragedy-stricken country.
But then, who will stay?

No comments: